Sunday, September 10, 2006

PICTURES!

This is a group of us in a Peace Corps Land Cruiser coming back from vaccinations.


This is my sister Emmy and one of the two twins (I can´t tell them apart!) this is also a nice view out of the back of my house. I spend alot of time out here because the house doesn´t get many breezes. You can see right above the chair my shower with the blue tarp as a curtain. For a while there was a birds nest with little birds in it. They must have learned to fly because they are no longer there.

This is my aunt, Naidja, preparing some ojaldre. Ojaldre is basicly fried dough, it is ussually served for breakfast some times with cheese but never with powerderd sugar. This is also the extent of our kitchen. There is no running water but the gas stove is behind her. Much of the high powered cooking (boiling water for rice or making soup) is done by my father outside using wood. I think my family is different than most because my dad enjoys cooking ( he used to be a chef). Other typical dishes include bullo which is crushed corn in a tube, white rice with a small amount of vegetables and some chicken. There in general is alot of fried food, fried hot dogs, frid chicken and more I can´t think of right now. I love it but know its not too healthy.

Here is a current volunteer that meet us at the airport. He visitied the same Embera site that I did but got a different design than mine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to see the pictures Joe!

We are sad to keep missing you phone calls, but happy to hear your messages. Try calling our cell phones too:
Dad 508 561 4832
Mom 508 341 9480

Anonymous said...

We love the pictures!
We love hearing about all the different foods!
You truly are part of the BLUE Man Group!

Hope to talk with you soon!
Love,
Mom