Sunday, October 01, 2006

Tech week and partying

Tech week was a alot of hard work. We built 4 composting latrines for another Ngobe vilage.

A composte latrine is essentially just a big box you poop in and then put sawdust or other dry material in, and in 6 months it turns into composte and you take it out a side door. Not to sound like a huge nerd but these things are really great. They are good because they don't spread shit around so people don't get sick, and you can also use the composte for crops. I like them really though because they don't smell and there are no flies. This may not sound like a huge deal, but I havn't actually sat on a latrine seat since I've been here due to the stench mosquitos and cockroaches which are all overpowering.

The week was a great success on thursday I woke up after sharing a double bed with my buddy Rob and walked to the creek to wash my face. I'm about there and notice a lot of guys down there with a fire going. When I arrive they are slaughtering a 90 pound pig!! In the same river I came to wash up in! They ended up smoking the pig for a few hours with banana leaves. It was soooo good.

No more time in the internet cafe so I need to go.

No comments: