Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Site info

I´ve been at my site for a week now and have been soooo busy. In the past week I have been to the neiboring community to hike up the mountain to see the spring and tank locations of the aquaduct I will be building. it is quite a hike yet really beutiful, probabably the closest to being in a rainforest I have ever been. There was also a meeting to start planing the aquaduct. It is really frustrating because the community wants to go go go, but the design isn´t finished as thereare no acurate elevation measurments. Today I am in the Provincial capital, buying tools to start clearing the path for the tubing. The mason I am working with is really knowledgable and has already built 4 aquaducts with the PC.

Novemeber is also the month of festivities here. There was parades in my town back to back for the Independence from Columbia and flag day. The band has alot of drums and xzylophones?? Every day I try to play soccer at 5 till it gets too dark to see and the bats come out. Ussually there is a competitive 6 on 6 soccer game, and a volleyball game everyday.

I have been in good health and am sleeping on a hammock, which is surprisingly comfortable. I have my own room in a house that I am sharing with a teacher. My host family are neighbores and are very welcoming esspecially the kids. I¨ve been eating alot of boiled bananas and Pifa, which is kinda like a dry squash. Occasionally i go to the store and buy rice and lentils or chicken for dinner for everyone.

My digital camera has been having some serious problems which I think are related to the humidity, and my cell phone gets horrible service. You can call and leave a message and I can call you back on the pay phone if you would like. Right now I have to go and get some more things organized while I´m in the Provincial capital for the aquaduct.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your writing is so intrigueing! I am wondering what it is like to sleep in a hammock. Do you here strange noises at night? It is night time in Roslindale, MA and the temps have been in the 60's. I have been teaching a 3 day energy healing class and am on my 2nd day. I think that it must be hard for you to be schedule free-I don't think I could do that for long. I am a person who likes to be organized. Joe, I want to know if your cell phone accepts text messages? If so, I will send you some missives that way. I suppose the phone is a simple one that just lets u call on it and nothing else? Well anyway, I think of you often and know that your adventurous and resourceful spirit will help keep you safew and allow you to have fun too!
xxMaryfaith

Holly said...

Bocas is awesome! I lived in Bocas when I was in PC. Is Valle off the road to Changuinola at the end of a really rocky road? Near Buena Vista? I think I went there a few times for a congreso meeting. Have fun and good luck with the water projects.