Saturday, October 18, 2008

My going away party

I left my town on October 7th. The weekend before my Panama Verde group organized a going away party with some money they had saved up. Several members of the community were invited as well as Panama Verde coordinators from out of town.
They decorated my house all morning and had a big stereo hooked up to a car battery. In total there was about 30 people crammed onto my porch. In this picture I am giving all of the Panama Verde books and documents to the President Aurelio.
Later we took a picture with all of our group members. Included in the photo are on the right. The Proffesora Mitzela from Changuinola who organizes all the group on a regional level and Arcadio, the head of a NGO called Alianza´s Bocas. I was very surprised that they came considering it was a weekend and 1 and a half hour ride from Changuinola.
We also had a more formal going away lunch at the US ambassador to Panama´s house. Tables were set with lots of silverware and delicious food!!! Seriously this was real good food even by US standards, I can´t believe the Ambassador gets to eat like this ALL THE TIME!
Here I am with the Ambassador Barbara Stephenson and the Peace Corps Country Director Peter Redmond.

Here is are whole group. Not so many have left, and all left within the first 6 months.

I´m off on my trip visiting South America.


No comments: