Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Some random pics

We had our in service training a few weeks ago. One night we went to this bar that had MASSIVE SOMBREROS. This picture stands to tell the size of these. Needless to say I kinda cut up my forehead because it was like having a wicker basket rubbing up against your face.

The NGO that is funding the majority of our aqueduct came to visit about a month ago. I just got these pics from a friend. You can see in the backround what the toma looked like before we put the final cement cap on.

Here is a picture of Greg, the director of the Environmental Health sector in Panama (my boss) on the right. Next is Father Roberto ¨Niggity Kree¨and his niece Ashton. They all hiked up to the toma, to check it out. Roberto lives in Mexico and follows up on the work that a NGO called Waterlines. They provide funding for many water projects that PC Panama does. I was lucky to have they previous volunteer in my site solicit money from them, so I didn´t have to do any of the fundraising leg work.

Talking about the toma design.

Dimly lit picture of the whole group that came including Byron from Rotary Club international who is also provided much of the funding for the project.

In other news I had a great weekend. On Saturday I helped clean out the two aqueduct tanks that give water to my house. The amount of sludge and leaves and crap that was in the tanks was pretty gross considering I drink that water directly. I even found tadpoles in one of the tanks! We cleaned them out with dish soap and chlorine, and I explained to them how they can use the older higher tank as a primitive sedimentation tank to clean most of the basura from the water.

After that I played in a soccer tournament in my town. I played for the Valle team, they are really good ball handlers but don´t spread the ball around the field or pass much. It kind of reminded me of litter kids soccer when they all bunch around the ball. Anyways my team ended up winning, I also got a free meal out of it. Later that day I signed on to play in the soccer league that is going to start in March. The league has about 8 teams from around my county and most games are played in my town because it has a field with nets. It is mostly teenagers but some older guys play too.

In the night we all went to the corregiadoria, which is the equivalent of a town hall. Since my town is the center of the county this is where are business goes down such as registering to vote or registering births and settling disputes. They have a solar panel and a battery hooked up to a tv there. At night 20 people from town crammed into this wood building to watch Panama vs Costa Rica in the Central American soccer tournament. Panama ended up losing in penalty kicks.

No comments: