Thursday, December 21, 2006

Graduacion

This week was Graduation at the school in town. It was a pretty big deal in town, and the parents group really came together. Here is a bunch of photos from that.
The head table with representatives from the Ministry of Education, the school directors.
(Prevent Dengue)
There have been many problems with Dengue fever in Panama city, and some of the other cities but it hasn´t really effected the rural people in the campo. There is not enough standing water here to cause much mosquitoes. In general the mosquitoes aren´t bad at all here, only when I´m near the swamp at night to do I ever get bit.
All the graduates. You can also see how many people came out to see the graduations in the back outside the roof.



This food is for the dinner of graduation which was Monday. There was tons of rice chicken and potato salad. Quiet a feast when you used to boiled bananas. All this food is cooked in the school kitchen, which is really just a shack with a few large fireplaces.



This roofing was constructed by the Padres de Familia. It was in the middle of the courtyard of the school. People sat at the tables and desk chairs of the school.




I was hanging out around the outside of the tables, because I didn´t have any one in my family graduate, and was about ready to leave when the assistant director of the school invited me to sit at the head table! It was pretty cool, being up there, but I also felt like I was eating under a microscope because everyone was looking at me.



This guys name is Jose too, he is my cousin. The ice cream man occasionally comes to town. He rolls on a motorcycle with a cooler strapped to the back. Pineapple orange ice cream cones like this are only 25 cents.


Ochoa and Betti in cafe. You need to leave the coffee beans out in the sun to dry them, and I guess they just decided to sit in it.
Ochoa!
All the mountains around my site look like this.


These are the neighbors in my hammock, they come over some times to draw pictures or just hang out.
The other day in preparation for Christmas I went out to clear the jungle to make a cow pasture. Our neighbor hood was going to receive $100, for all this work. Using the machete is really fun, it works really well. I was cutting down everything from ferns, to serious vines to 3" thick trees. I think I gained alot of respect from the men in my part of town. I ended up with some blisters on my hand and cuts from thorns. On my back in this picture I have my sheath made out of a flattened peace of PVC pipe. And yes I know I have lost alot of weight, I look real skinny in this picture huh?



5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the pictures. I like the machete one- you have lost weight.
Christine Freitas at IBM (she is the woman who took Sport) wants to know if there are a lot of iguanas around your area. If you get a chance, take some pictures!

We are getting ready for Christmas-lots to do. Mailed some stuff for you to Chicago today.

Love,
Dad

Kathie VW said...

Hey Joe, you look great and what a beautiful place and beautiful people! Ben and Meg are around more, with Meg home from SCAD (her art school) from Thanksgiving until after New Years. Ben took another semester off to work for another campaign (for VT state senate) and his candidate did really well, bringing in the most votes in a field of 6. If he doesn't get distracted by another campaign he should graduate in May. Thinking of you, it will be a special Christmas just as it is, wishing you much joy and peace! Kathie and all us Walshes

Unima Kwaribo said...

Joe, you should send some of these into La Vaina. I really like the one of your little kids in the coffee beans. And your caption made me laugh out loud in the internet cafe in Almirante. Thanks for that!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading you blog. It was nice to see some photos of my son Jack included, too! I hope you're enjoying your stay in Panama. It looks like you are.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Hello, Joe! I hope it was a happy birthday. Thank you for your fine letter.
There is great rejoicing here because we are finally getting some snow. Raleigh especially - a cross country skier - is pleased. He was in a big meet on Saturday and was ninth among 120 comepetitors in his 5K event. And he is one of the youngest, a freshman, and is eyeing the winners, most of whom will graduate this year - and of coure, next year his legs will be longer.......!
Parker strums his guitar all the time - constantly working out new chords and riffs. He is the younget member of the jazz band at school, and has a mohawk haircut. He is a pretty cool cat.
I am going to send another package, this time to the right address. Somewhere out there there are 3 packages I sent before Christmas.
We all read your blog with great interest. Great pictures! We are very proud of you!
Much love - Jeanne