Monday, October 15, 2007

Building a 3300 gallon tank

My neighbor Brandon recently just changed sites. So I have been living there during the week to help finish his aqueduct tank. This is 3300 gallon tank made with 8 inch blocks, which is almost unheard of in Panama. These blocks were donated by the US Army and I think are actually made in the USA.
That is my friend José who is also a very experience mason, I work with him all the time. He is also the President of one of the aqueducts in my town.
Me and Brandon during construction.
Our construction inspector. A lazy bear, or sloth, just hanging out.

These blocks are really hard to split without a saw. This meant there are larger spaces between them with we filled with mortar. The tank is 8 feet tall.
Mixing mortar.
Sieving sand by hand. You can't have any rocks in the mix. We had some kids helping out with the work.
That's our make shift scaffolding we set up. The last foot of that steel will be bent over to and attached to the steel in the roof.
That bandanna may look ridiculous but it was REALLY hot working in the sun.




2 comments:

TPG said...

I'm so jealous you get to chill with Sloths bro. Call me sometime, sorry I always miss your calls.

Anonymous said...

Looking good, Joe! So happy to see the blog is up and running again!
Love,
Mom